Sunday 17 August 2014

17 of Blaugust - Alphabet Free Sunday - gdgd fairies

Last night I went to a very entertaining play based on The Princess Bride where I discovered that Pitchy makes an excellent Prince Humperdinck and I decided to pass by a birthday party on the way home. There was games and Street Fighter: The Movie being shown. Afterward the host wanted to show us something from Japan and I was baffled yet amused as to what came next.

krkr, pkpk and shrshr

This show was the gdgd fairies (I presume it's meant to be pronounced "Goodie Goodie Fairies") and is an actual show on Anime site, crunchyroll. I really shouldn't call this Anime though as it is a 3D computer animation that appears to be done incredibly cheaply. It involves three characters. They are pkpk ("Piku-Piku"), shrshr ("Shiru-Shiru") and krkr ("Koro-Koro").  They waffle on about stuff, practice their magic and make voices for ridiculous video clips. All of this is done in the most drug triping way possible.


All I can say is that it looks like something absolutely horrible that makes My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic look lie a masterpiece yet it is addictive as crack.  Go and watch the first episode now!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can provide a bit more context. The gdgd (shorthand on Futaba Channel for "tedious") fairies is made in Mikumiku Dance. That's a low budget 3D posing program mostly used to make music videos on the internet using the vocaloids. The magical pool dubbing sequences are entirely adlibbed by the voice actresses. The lead writer of the first season quit the show due to creative differences. He then went on to write Straight Title Robot Anime, another show made in Mikumiku Dance with adlibbed sequences.

    The lead writer also wrote for a series of COOL JAPAN promos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd6AAwjk1Gc

    Did I mention that the gdgd fairies hit the cinema this year? I hope it's still showing in at least one when I'm around at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete