Thursday 28 August 2014

28th of Blaugust - X - Xfce

Today I'm writing this on my old laptop because I wanted to use my Linux install. I hadn't done anything Linux related for Blaugust yet and so I wanted to find something. I settled on getting the Xfce window manager installed.

It didn't take much for me to do this as I was already running Ubuntu which uses Unity as the default window manager. My desktop looked like this.


So the easiest thing to do would be to install Xubuntu (the Xfce flavor of Ubuntu) on top. You could use symaptic or the dreaded Ubuntu Software centre to do this but I find the terminal to be way easier. So all it needed was one command.

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

By the way, Kagami is the name of the computer i'm on. I name them all after Anime characters. My Macbook is Mio (from K-On!), this old Dell laptop is Kagami (from Lucky Star), I have an older compaq laptop named Nagato (from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), my mums old Lenovo she gave me is Asuka (from Neon Genesis Evangellion), there's an onld eeePC by the name of Ushio (from Clannad Afterstory) and a HP desktop called Haruhi (one guess where that's from).


Well anyway, my install was done so it was time for a reboot. Probably didn't need to but I did anyway. The install has replaced all Ubuntu themed stuff with Xubuntu themed stuff. There was even a different login screen. I had to select xubuntu from a dropdown list on the right to get into it. Here's what it looked like after logging in.


My wallpaper was gone! Not to worry though. Just one right click to select Desktop Settings and that was sorted in no time.


So there's the Xfce menu on top left you can select and use like the Windows 7 start menu to type the name of your program which is handy.


And all the programs that are open are shown up top.


Quite a handy little window manager to be honest. But would I use it? I doubt it. If I want a minimal window manager I tend to use Lxde.But normally I just stick with Unity. I've been considering doing an Arch Linux install on something lately and wouldn't mind going back to Gnome and giving that a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment