Friday 29 August 2014

29th of Blaugust - Y - Yet Another Eurovision Post

Back to me finding an excuse to talk about Eurovision for not apparent reason. I hadn't been fully prepared and I was compiling this list anyway. So I thought I would put it out there as a Blaugust Post. I went through the train-wercks but there is actually some good stuff in there. I promise you.

This is my list of favorite songs that didn't win from 2014 back to 2000.

2014 ­ Sweden - Placed 3rd

 I liked this and really thought it could win. At one point it was even the bookie favorite. However the Austria was a deserving winner.

2013 ­ Ukraine - Placed 3rd

I thought this one was really cool and got stuck into me. However Denmark had a really great song and took the deserving title.

2012 ­ Cyprus - Placed 16th

This was theyear Sweden took it out with a very awesome song. However I found this one by Cyprus to be ultra catchy. Not exactly original lyrics, but catchy none the less.

2011 ­ Italy - Placed 2nd

This was the year Italy returned to Eurovision. They hadn't taken part since 1997 (and even that was by mistake). They came out with this great Jazz piece which came 2nd. I think it should have won as I didn't care much for the Azerbaijan song that won.

2010 ­ Ukraine - Placed 10th

I guess I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Ukraine at Eurovision. They're normally pretty consistently good and this was no exception. But Germany were awesome this year and took it out. BTW, this was also the year of Moldova and the Epic Sax Guy.

2009 ­ Iceland - Placed 2nd

Speaking of a song that was awesome, how awesome was this? Even though Norway was a clear winner setting a record to do it, I really have a soft spot for this one from Iceland. If only it was just in a different year.

2008 ­ Iceland - Placed 14th

But I liked this one from Iceland as well. So much more than the Russian entry that won. Russia winning Eurovision officially broke Terry Wogan causing him to throw a tantrum and quit.

2007 ­ Finland - Placed 17th

Having won the year before, Finland got to host the contest. And I quite liked their entry that year despite not really being into Emo music. But Serbia had a great ballad that took it out.

2006 ­ Sweden - Placed 5th

Who could forget Finland's winning song "Hard Rock Hallelujah" which is one of my favorite ever Eurovision songs? Nothing really came close that year. But this one by Sweden was quite a good entry. This singer had previously won for Sweden back in 1991 and tried to take it out again.

2005 ­ Malta - Placed 2nd

This year Greece won it with their number one song. But in second was this entry from Malta. She came back in 2009 to try and go one better.

2004 ­ Turkey - Placed 4th

Turkey had won the previous year and put in this cool Ska style piece to try and do the double. But Ukraine in only their second ever contest showed they were great at Eurovision by taking it out.

2003 ­ Belgium - Placed 2nd

This is weird but really cool. The language restriction had been removed in 1999 and Belgium pushed it by entering this song with a made up language. It came 2nd to Turkey which also had a song worthy of winning. But to be honest there wasn't much else that was any good. This was not a period in Eurovision which was known for it's quality.

2002 ­ Malta - Placed 2nd

But this one from Malta was pretty good. Came 2nd to Latvia with a song that was not that great to be honest.

2001 ­ Malta - Placed 9th

Once again I'm picking this song by Malta because it was the least worst that didn't win which was also the least worst of them all. But the one from Estonia that did win was at least catchy.

2000 ­ Sweden - Placed 7th

This was a song I really liked from a contest that was really good. If you want to see a good Eurovision with everything from good stagecraft to a good balance of good and terrible songs then the 2000 contest is my recommendation. Sweden had won the year before and put out this great price. Yet Denmark came out with a song that was a 100% guaranteed winner. 2000 also contained my favorite bad train wreck from my last Eurovision post (that horrible Israel one).

But some train wrecks can also be awesome! Like Germany from the same year. As I said, the 2000 Eurovision had it all.

Bonus Train Wreck - Germany 2000 - Placed 5th

No comments:

Post a Comment