Saturday 23 August 2014

23rd of Blaugust - T - Trumpet

Some of you might know that I have a Bachelor of Music. In which I got it for my skills on the Trumpet. If you're a Trumpet of Brass player I will be showing you a few resources that might help you out.


Fingering charts are always helpful if you haven't played in a while or are starting out. As suss as if may sound to those who don't play Trumpet, it just means the valve positions for every note.


If you play regularly then you'll want to amass a collection of mutes. You'll want at least a straight mute and a cup mute. Getting a harmon mute and plunger mute might help too. I'd suggest getting this Straight mute made by Dennis Wick, this Cup Mute also by Dennis Wick (I don't have this one, but they are good) and this Harmon Mute by Jo-Ral. For your plunger mute don't spend ridiculous amounts of money on one as you can just use a small plunger from Bunnings with the handle removed. You might also want to cut the centre out as it helps with intonation. Don't bother with a bucket mute. Just stick your bell into your music stand. I don't even have one.


There's a new product in development right now called the pTrumpet. It's actually a fully functional plastic Trumpet that's meant to not be a toy. I could see the practical benefets of a plastic trumpet and many say they'd be great for beginners. I'm not convinced beginners should be using something that is not a reall Brass Trumpet as they need to get used to the feel, size and weight. But then again, there are small String instruments for beginners so it might still be a help after all. I still want one!

That's all I'll write for now as I have somewhere to be today. See you all tomorrow far whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment