Thursday 6 August 2015

Back to the daily grind of a professional student...

I got one of those dead periods at uni again where I could be studying but just don’t want to. I walked up to North Adelaide and had an AB for lunch at the Red and White Yiros place (side note: MS Word’s Australian English spellchecker doesn’t know what Yiros is. It only knows Kebab), shook my head at the vacant Le Cornu site across the road and now I’m back at Adelaide Uni bashing away at this until my tutorial on Algorithm Data Structure & Analysis starts in about half an hour.

I peek at my Facebook and one of my friends has an AMD graphics card he’s offering to sell me for $100. It’s actually worth a lot more but he had ordered it for someone who didn’t pay for it. So now I will finally have a GPU for my new machine. Thanks Barron! He’s also got an i7 desktop he wants to sell for $250 if anyone’s interested.

It wasn’t until I pulled my laptop out to start writing that I had discovered I had a food stain on my shirt from lunch. I’d even spoken to someone at the Engineering Faculty office. Talk about embarrassing.

So I don’t really have many plans for the end of the day. I guess I’ll do the tute and drive home via a place that sells cheap-ish petrol. Motormouth tells me the Woolworths Caltex on Prospect Road seems to be the cheapest option that doesn’t need a Costco membership. Not exactly on the way home but it is cheap car juice. So I’ll have a nice scenic drive until I get home and clean up the mess that is computer component packaging strewn all over the place. I got a 2TB hard drive that I plan on throwing into my PC that has files on it I need to transfer off. I also need to get around to buying some soft drinks for EVAC on Friday. I can always do that on the Friday itself so I’m not too concerned about that as much but I would prefer to use club funds to do it rather than reimbursing myself. That’s right, I forgot to tell you that weren’t at the EVAC AGM that I am the new treasurer of EVAC which means I now am in possession of a metal box that ways roughly the same as a clay brick. I did the sums and worked out that the quiz night we held raised A LOT more money than originally anticipated. The soft drink sales were also very financially helpful which is why I’m bringing that back. They were also really convenient and refreshing too!

My tute starts in about 5 minutes so I’ll put this post on hold until after it’s done.

And now I’m back fresh from the tute but with an unsettling feeling like there’s something I’ve forgotten. I had this belief that I was going to go get something but I can’t exactly remember what that thing was. I know it wasn’t important but I know it was definitely something. I think it might have been to get some new Ethernet cables but I’m not so sure. I know I do need them but I don’t think it was it. Was definitely something cheap and IT related though. Don’t you hate that feeling? It makes me feel like some forgetful geriatric.

KENSINGTON LOCK! That was it! Only now the place I was going to go to get it is probably closed! Wait, it’s still open until 6:30. I can still get one. I want one for my laptop so I can leave it set up at a desk and go to the toilet without having to pack it away. I know MSY sells combination ones for $2 so I was just going to grab one. Doesn’t need to be too fancy or secure. Just an inconveniencing deterrent.

Well I better go throw this up and get that lock as well as do all the things like get petrol, tidy and play Splatoon. So until tomorrow,

Have Fun and Stay Sexy!

1 comment:

  1. The Red and White? Traitor!

    (Don't worry, I'm not really one of those Blue and White heathens, I just thought it needed to be said)

    ReplyDelete