Thursday 13 August 2015

Exatly Nobody Likes Group Assignments

Oh hey! I actually have time to write a fully structured Blaugust post! Well actually I don’t but I know that if I don’t write it now then my other major task that I need to do today will not get done. I’d probably start on that assignment and be like, “Time for a form of procrastination!”

First it’s time for me to vent about my software engineering group. I can’t remember if I mentioned it on Tuesday specifically but I am the only one of seven who has English as their first language. Everyone else is an international student. That’s fine and all. If it means I’m doing the documentation than that’s ok. But there still is a bit of alienation involved. I think this is more accidental based rather than intentional. For example they’re all keeping in touch with an online service called WeChat. Which can be simply described at the Chinese version of Skype and Facebook Messenger. I assume it’s in English but it’s a web service I am unfamiliar with. Either way it means I am cut out of a lot of the discussion. But I do get emails, texts and calls every so often.

But they are even worse.

For example I knew there was going to be a meeting today where we would all meet up and discuss the project. I would be told when and where. I’m at home because I don’t have any timetabled classes today and because I have things due that I need to work on. I would go in specifically for the meeting. I Take a glance at my phone at 11:45 and discover that I was sent an email at 1 AM telling me that the meeting will be at 10 AM. So naturally I’ve missed the meeting and still have no idea what is going on. This is the worst case example but it’s not the first time it’s happened. There was another yesterday asking for me to send a photo of me for a poster. I never got the email in time but I did get the text half an hour later saying I was too late. EMAIL IS NOT AN IMMEDIATE FORM OF COMMUNICATION! At least not in my culture. It may be different to their culture but everyone need to be accommodating. We were told this specifically in the first lecture. I know it’s not intentional but this is how alienation works. I’ll have to specifically let them know that I need at least twelve hours notice if you want to send anything to me by email. Yet I feel I shouldn’t have to do this. Half an hour to reply to an email is simply not acceptable.

I’m pretty sure it’s what contributed my migraine yesterday. I was told I absolutely had to get the minuted of the Tuesday meeting done within 24 hours. So I was put under a lot of pressure. This is because it had to be in LaTeX format which I did not know. I even got a phone call at 10 pm which I assume it was about. I didn’t answer because I was in a meeting and uni related calls at that time is unreasonable to me. I even missed a lecture so I could get it done. One I really needed to be at. I wasn’t able to do the LaTeX so I did it in word after I realised that they hadn’t even done the Agenda in LaTeX. There was also no expectation in the assignment document that is had to be done in 24 hours like they made out to me. So I missed an important lecture for absolutely nothing! I’m not impressed in the slightest. This “DO IT OR ELSE” attitude is not helpful to me in any way. All it is doing is causing unnecessary pressure and effecting the rest of my studies. Possibly even my short term health. If it keeps going I’ll submit a complaint to the course coordinator.

Now, de-stressing for a bit I need to change the subject.

Drink sales at EVAC last Friday went incredibly well. I think I need to get another box of the variety pack tomorrow. It will be good to just go there and relax. Fortunately I’ve3 scheduled everything so that my time from 4pm Friday is always free. For me that’s a top priority. Being able to go there, pretend to play video games, play with some cardboard and have the odd game of Mahjong is really beneficial to me. Not to mention the company that we all keep. Occasionally an old face we haven’t seen in a while shows up and it’s like they never left. Remember that time earlier in the year when both Adam and Aaron showed up? Occasionally Hugo is back from Sydney and he always makes an effort to come if EVAC is on. That’s always great. Thom doesn’t always manage to show up as often as he used to but it is great when he does. Hopefully there will be a final hurrah before you go away in September.

Game of the week is back at EVAC again. I don’t know how long it will keep going this time but it’s got attention since it’s new again. Last week was Rocket League, a brilliant game. You can’t go wrong with Soccer in cars. Tomorrow it’s going to be Puyo Puyo Tetris. My Puyo Puyo game sucks but me Tetris game is good. Not Ale good but still very good.

I finally got La-Mulana yesterday and will be planning to have a field trip with it. It was on special for $5 on Steam. People tell me this is a great game. The same people also tell me it is frustrating. I spent a good hour trying to work out how the controls work so I guess I’ll find it frustrating but rewarding. That’s Metroid-vania’s for you. But I can vouch for how brilliant the music is.

SO I now have something to make me procrastinate on my uni work. I got a game to play!

So until tomorrow,

Have Fun and Stay Sexy!

No comments:

Post a Comment