Monday 17 August 2015

The Search for a Good Computer Keyboard

So I’m writing this in my lecture (shows how much I am paying attention).

My dad’s birthday is coming up later on in the week and I have yet to buy him a present. I know what I want to get him but I am having great difficulties in doing so. Basically I want to get him a new keyboard for his PC because the HP OEM one he has is fast turning into a piece of garbage. He uses his constantly in his free time and the odd moment when he needs to work from home so the letters on his keyboard keys have faded to the point that you can not read them. He’s even mentioned off the cuff that he needs a new one. So I want to get him one that is nice and will last a long time. What I really want to get him is a backlit keyboard. I have a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740 I got for myself in 2010 and I love it so I originally wanted to get him the same one that I have.

Except that you can’t seem to be able to get them in stores anymore.

“Not to worry,” I think to myself. “I can just get one that is similar.” But that is turning into a difficult talk. If you want to get an illuminated keyboard then gaming keyboards are you only option. But you know what gaming keyboards are like. Aggressive looking things usually with different coloured WASD keys, huge drivers and programmable macro keys. Getting one of those would be like getting a bowling ball for Marge with Homer’s name engraved on it.

So what about a mechanical keyboard? One with really cool clicky keys that feels great on your fingers. That would be a good idea if they didn’t cost $150 a piece. And once again the majority of them are gaming keyboards. I think I’m also getting in into bowling ball territory again. If wer’re talking about the keyboard I would buy for myself then what I’d personally want is a Model M. The original clicky keyboard that was originally made by IBM. They are still being made by a company called Unicomp who got the rights to them by Lexmark who originally got the rights from IBM. They also service any Model M as well. I’m still up in the air if I would want a Unicomp model or an original 80’s IBM one which are near indestructible. They just need a DIN-5 to PS\2 adaptor plugged into a PS\2 to USB adaptor to work. Although I think I think my new PC does still have a PS/2 plug. Mainly because of the ghosting issue with USB keyboards. Basically there is a limit to how many keys you can hold down on a USB keyboard. Not so for the older variety! Now if there was an illuminated version of the model M that used a PS-2 plug I would be forever grateful! But based on how these are made that is not possible.

So back to my dad’s birthday present. I think I might have found it! The Gigabyte Aivia K8100! It is a gaming keyboard but it is not overstated. It has an inbuilt 2 port USB 2.0 hub, doesn’t need ridiculous drivers and is backlit. It’s red backlighting which I’m not a fan of (I prefer blue but my current keyboard is white) but it’s not for me and you can switch it off. It also won’t break the bank either. I think my dad would like it as a gift.
Now I just have to find the store that has it in stock and sells the black version of it. That’s right, there’s different colours of it. It comes on black red and yellow. The red and yellow ones look ridiculous if it was for my dad but gamers would probably love it. Me, I’d stick with the black.

So I guess I’ll go find it Wednesday considering that’s the only large chunk of free time I will have.

There’s is also going to be a BONUS POST tonight (otherwise kown as the post to make up for the one I didn’t write on Saturday) which means my regular sign off for my posts won’t make much sense. But it’s tradition for me this Blaugust which means I ain’t changing it!

So Until Tomorrow,

Have Fun and Stay Sexy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to go check tonight, but I'm pretty sure that dad through out all our own Model Ms when he through out the 386s a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete